Why Marcelo is out of favour at Madrid

Filed under: cffyahrn — Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , — admin @ 8:16 am October 27, 2019

first_imgMarcelo, for so long a mainstay at left-back at Real Madrid, is currently out of favour. Sergio Reguilon has taken the Brazilian’s place as Madrid’s first-choice left-back for the time being, as Marcelo started his first game at left-back on Thursday since January 6.Before then, Reguilon had started three consecutive matches at left-back, as the Castilla product continues to impress under Santiago Solari. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? The sight of Marcelo on the bench is an odd one for any Madrid supporter, with the 30-year-old having established himself among the world’s best at his position over the past decade.But injuries have affected Marcelo this term, the Brazilian having missed 10 games with various muscle problems, and he has not been at his best when healthy either.Additionally, Marcelo has struggled with his weight throughout his career, and his lack of consistent playing time this season has made it difficult for him to maintain his peak fitness.Despite his stuttering campaign so far Solari has insisted that he is still a big backer of Marcelo, and that he has reacted well to his recent benching. “His love for the club and his commitment to the club and his joy at training are undoubted, and his behaviour is impeccable. All these things must be praised,” the Madrid manager said on Wednesday.”It’s always a difficult task to pick the team.”Marcelo Real Madrid 2018-19Indeed, Madrid sources have confirmed to Goal that Marcelo’s response to his recent benching has been positive, and he is continuing to train hard with the hope of regaining his spot in Solari’s team.Unlike the case of Isco, another Madrid player out of favour, Marcelo’s relationship with Solari remains good, with no personal animosity between the pair.However, if Marcelo continues to be unable to regain his spot, rumours linking him with a summer switch to Juventus will increase.Several Madrid players have been tipped to follow Cristiano Ronaldo in making the move to Turin, and Ronaldo himself seemed to encourage his former team-mate to join him in an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport last month.“Marcelo is strong, we open the doors to good players and Marcelo is one of them,” the Portuguese said.For now, though, Marcelo is happy at Madrid and Solari is still counting on him, despite his recent benching.last_img read more

Ban concerned and disappointed over Israels new settlement plan for East Jerusalem

Filed under: hapumqit — Tags: , , , , , , , , , — admin @ 1:17 pm October 2, 2019

“This would include reported planning in the so-called E-1 envelope, which risks completely cutting off East Jerusalem from the rest of the West Bank,” the spokesperson added in a statement. “Settlements are illegal under international law and,” the spokesperson noted. “Should the E-1 settlement be constructed, it would represent an almost fatal blow to remaining chances of securing a two-State solution.”Announced by Israeli authorities on Friday, construction in E1 – a West Bank territory that Israel captured in 1967 – would connect a large Jewish settlement to Jerusalem, according to media reports. However, the move would also reportedly divide the West Bank in two, rendering a viable, contiguous and sovereign Palestinian State impossible to achieve in accordance with the two-State solution contained in the internationally approved plan that seeks to resolve the issue on the basis of two States, Israel and Palestine, living side by side in peace and within secure borders.Mr. Ban’s spokesperson said that the Secretary-General repeats his call on all concerned to resume negotiations and intensify efforts towards a comprehensive, just and lasting peace and urges the parties to refrain from provocative actions. “In the interests of peace, any plans for E-1 must be rescinded,” he added. On Thursday, the General Assembly voted to grant Palestine non-member observer State status at the United Nations, while expressing the urgent need for the resumption of negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians leading to a permanent two-State solution.The resolution on the status of Palestine in the UN was adopted by a vote of 138 in favour to nine against with 41 abstentions by the 193-member Assembly. read more