Dave Grohl Performs Beautiful Cover Of The Beatles’ ‘Blackbird’ At The Oscars

first_imgWhile Foo Fighters’ frontman Dave Grohl was scheduled to perform at the 88th Academy Awards ceremony today, no one quite knew the extent of his role during the awards. Grohl came out with an acoustic guitar during the later portion of the program, providing the background music for an “In Memoriam” segment. The song of choice was a cover of “Blackbird,” by The Beatles, performed beautifully for an emotional moment.Watch footage of the performance, below:last_img

No. 2 Trojans take down LMU and Pacific

first_imgIt was a confidence-boosting weekend for the No. 2 USC men’s water polo team. The Trojans (18-3, 3-1 MPSF) rebounded from last week’s loss to Stanford with an 11-6 win over Pacific on Saturday, just two days after a 19-7 beatdown of LMU.Mighty Quin · Freshman goalie McQuin Baron continued his impressive debut season with seven saves against Loyola Marymount last Thursday. – Mariya Dondonyan | Daily TrojanAgainst Pacific, USC started out with three quick goals, and had a 3-0 lead in the second before the Tigers’ Devon Thumwood scored on a penalty shot. Nonetheless, Trojan senior driver Kostas Genidounias came right back and scored 30 seconds later. The Trojans scored three more unanswered goals and had a 6-1 lead until Pacific’s leading scorer Ben Stevenson scored two straight goals in less than a minute. Genidounias talked about his team’s response to a quick change from a 6-1 lead to a 6-3 lead.“When you are up 5-1 and then 6-1, there is a tendency to relax a little, and that’s what happened,” Genidounias said. “They scored two quick goals, but then we came back with good defense, we scored our goals, and all went fine.”It all went fine, indeed, because Genidounias and freshman utility Mihajlo Milicivec scored to give the Trojans an 8-3 lead going into the fourth. The two teams exchanged goals in the fourth but Pacific was unable to mount a comeback in the five-point Trojan win.Last week, head coach Jovan Vavic was frustrated with the Trojans’ lackluster performance in the Stanford loss, but he was more content with Saturday’s performance.“We played much better defense,” Vavic said. “We were more focused on defense, more alert, played better 5-on-6 defense, which was a big difference in the game against Stanford. That was a major problem. Our goalie had an excellent game. He had 18 saves, I think.”That goalie is freshman McQuin Baron. After allowing a few goals in the second half, Baron was frustrated. Vavic liked Baron’s response, however, and characterizes it as one way the rookie plays beyond his years.“That’s a sign of a good leader. He recognized that there are certain things we practiced, and we didn’t do the way we practiced,” Vavic said. “It was actually very similar to a situation that happened at Stanford, so he was voicing his opinion and letting the players know. I actually like that — that’s exactly what you want your goalie to do.”Even when Baron did allow some goals, the Trojans were able to come back with some of their own. Time after time when the pressure is put on, either by a large deficit or by an opponent’s comeback, the Trojans have been able to turn on an extra gear. Vavic believes that this is an important feature of the team.“Even though we are young, we have been pretty good at coming back. Even against Stanford, where things didn’t go our way, we still kept building and coming back,” Vavic said. “That’s a sign of a strong team. I think as the season goes on and we play more games we’re gonna be even better in that area. They are just learning to play with each other.”One of the Trojans who is just learning to play on the team is freshman two-meter Lachlan Edwards, who had a big week with a total of six goals, three against LMU and three against Pacific. Edwards believes that the Stanford loss was a motivator for him.“I think after a tough loss against Stanford everyone needed that kind of shock to switch on, and I think we are improving every game and I think I am as well,” Edwards said.Vavic knew that Edwards always had these performances in him and has been trying to help him along in his development.“He hasn’t always played to his potential, and I talk to him about that,” Vavic said. “I think he’s the most powerful center in the country. Sometimes his production is not on par with what his talent is. I think today he was more focused. He worked harder. He was really what I expected him to be.”Another key player against Pacific was senior driver Rex Butler, who scored two goals and broke the century mark in goals for his career. The achievement, however, was just a bonus for him.“Yeah, it’s cool,” Butler said. “I wouldn’t necessarily say it was one of my goals but it was a cool thing to have happen to me.”It was a big win on Saturday with many impressive achievements, but, as always, Vavic’s Trojan squad is looking to improve. Butler explained what he believes his team should work on.“Passing always needs to improve,” Butler said. “Today, I think we were a little impatient at times.”Gendounias, another USC veteran, led the Trojans in scoring against Pacific with four goals and is now 11 shy of becoming the school’s all-time leading scorer.Vavic believes that Saturday’s game was good preparation for their next game, Nov. 2 in Uytengsu Aquatics Center against UCLA.“Pacific is a very crafty team,” Vavic said. “They run many plays on offense and are a good 6-on-5 team This was an important MPSF match for us, but we were really not thinking about UCLA until now.”last_img read more

Britons feared for their lives

first_imgLONDON – Their greatest scare, they recalled, came on the second day, when they were flown to Tehran and backed up against a prison wall while their Iranian captors fiddled with weapons, cocking rifles to make them fear for their lives. “We thought we were going to the British Embassy but we got taken to a detention center,” said Royal Marine Joe Tindell, 21, one of 15 British sailors and marines seized by Iranian Revolutionary Guards in disputed waters in the Persian Gulf on March 23. There, the mood turned drastically, as their captors changed from military dress into all black, their faces covered. “We had a blindfold and plastic cuffs, hands behind our backs, heads against the wall,” Tindell said in an interview with the BBC. “Someone, I’m not sure who, someone said, I quote, `Lads, lads, I think we’re going to get executed.’ “After that comment someone was sick, and as far as I was concerned he had just had his throat cut. From there we were rushed to a room, quick photo, and then stuffed into a cell and didn’t see or speak to anyone for six days.” It was the beginning of days of psychological pressure that would ultimately extract televised “confessions” from some of the Britons that they had strayed into Iranian waters. The admissions tempered for some the joy at their safe return home to their families, with some military analysts expressing dismay that the sailors and marines had capitulated to their captor’s demands. “It was highly damaging that all of them apologized publicly for something they had not done,” said Max Hastings, a military historian and former newspaper editor, in a BBC radio interview Friday, comparing the Britons unfavorably to American pilots who withstood much crueler treatment in North Vietnam for much longer. But the captives defended their decision to play along with their captors, saying they were subjected to a determined campaign of psychological intimidation. They were separated, stripped, put in pajamas and placed in small stone cells in complete isolation – not permitted even a whispered word with a fellow captive, they said. The lone woman among them was tricked into believing the men had all been released. “There was a lot of trickery, and mind games being played,” Lt. Felix Carman, 26, of the Royal Navy, said when six of the Britons, freed two days ago, appeared at a news conference Friday to chronicle for the first time in public a 14-day ordeal that began, by their account, when Iranian Revolutionary Guards apprehended them in Iraqi waters, executing what seemed a planned and heavily armed ambush. “We were interrogated most nights, and presented with two options,” Carman said. “If we admitted we had strayed, we would be on a plane back to the UK soon. If we didn’t we faced up to seven years in prison.” None of them was told that, in the world outside, their incarceration had become a test of British and Iranian wills in which Iran depicted itself as a magnanimous victor – what President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran on Thursday called a “gift” to Britain. The news conference Friday at a Royal Marines base at Chivenor, southwestern England, seemed intended as much to deny Iran’s depiction of the episode as to allow the sailors and marines a chance to recant what Iran called their confessions of guilt. Yet, just as Britain had called their televised “confessions” stage-managed, the Iranian authorities dismissed Friday’s news conference as a propaganda exercise that did nothing to exonerate the British forces. “Transferring the sailors to military bases immediately after their arrival, dictating to them their orders and the planned coverage of the press conference by British and American media cannot change the documents that show the sailors had entered the territory of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” a spokesman for the Foreign Ministry, Mohammad Ali Hosseini, said in a statement. But Iran received its share of criticism at home, as well. The reformist daily Etemad faulted the government for not milking the crisis for greater diplomatic advantage, particularly in gaining the release of Iranians held in Iraq. “Maybe Iran could get some advantages during the talks and end its complicated problems with the other side,” the daily wrote in a column on Thursday. Another reformist daily, Aftab-e-Yazd, criticized the government’s timing, saying that if it was planning to release the Britons, it should have done so earlier instead of immediately after a warning from Prime Minister Tony Blair. The haste with which British authorities arranged the news conference suggested they wanted to deny Iran the propaganda victory it sought from releasing the British personnel, who indeed affirmed Friday that they had been in Iraqi, not Iranian waters. “I can clearly state that we were 1.7 nautical miles from Iranian waters,” Carman said. Reading from a written statement, Carman and Royal Marine Capt. Chris Air, 25, described how two Iranian speedboats closed on two British inflatable patrol boats after the personnel had boarded an Indian-flagged vessel, seeking contraband. Theirs was the first direct explanation of why the Britons did not resist capture. “Some of the Iranian sailors were becoming deliberately aggressive and unstable,” Air said. “They rammed our boat and trained their heavy machine guns, RPGs and weapons on us. Another six boats were closing in on us,” he said, referring to rocket-propelled grenades by their acronym. “We realized that our efforts to reason with these people were not making any headway. Nor were we able to calm some of the individuals down. “It was at this point that we realized that had we resisted there would have been a major fight, one we could not have won, with consequences that would have had major strategic impact. We made a conscious decision to not engage the Iranians and do as they asked. They boarded our boats, removed our weapons and steered the boats towards the Iranian shore.” “Let me be absolutely clear,” Air said. “From the outset it was very apparent that fighting back was simply not an option. Had we chosen to do so then many of us would not be standing here today. Of that I have no doubts.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img