Belize PM in US for talks with creditors

first_imgDean Barrow Prime Minister, Dean Barrow, has travelled to the United States to meet with Belize’s legal and financial team involved in the negotiations to restructure the so-called “Superbond.”A brief statement gave no further details except to say that he is due to return to Belize on Saturday.Last month, the newly formed committee to hold talks with the Belize government on the country’s third restructuring of the so-called Superbond rejected the Barrow administration’s move for further debt relief.The Belize government has said it wanted to conclude negotiations on restructuring the so-called “Super Bond 3.0” of US$530 million ahead of the next interest payment in February this year.last_img

Bahamas launches electronic bail system

first_imgThe Bahamas has launched a new bail management system (BMS) allowing for the processing of bail applications, persons who are granted bail, suretors, as well as police station check-ins, to be done electronically.The government said that the BMS represents a continued effort by the Office of the Attorney-General to crack down on persons acting as suretor for more than one person’s bail. The authorities said the system will also rely on biometrics – fingerprints and photos- to keep track of persons who have been granted bail with conditions.The launch of the BMS comes after two amendments to the Bail Act passed in 2014 and 2015.last_img

Talking Reggae Runnins with Tanto Irie

first_imgPhoto Courtesy of Tanto Irie If you are up at 10 pm on Saturdays and turn your radio to Hot 105 FM, you’re likely to hear Tanto Irie, host of Reggae Runnins.The show, which has been on the air over 10 years, has made him a household name in Miami.On Father’s Day, Tanto Irie was awarded the Clint O’Neil Radio Personality Award at the People’s Profile Awards in Davie. It is an accolade he acknowledged during a recent interview with CNW.“I’m very appreciative of this especially because it’s under Clint O’Neil’s name (the man generally credited as the Godfather of Reggae Music in South Florida). I really accept it because I have made a lot of sacrifice for the music personally. Sacrifice to keep the program on the air for the people. That’s what the People Profile Award means to me because the people keep me there,” he saidTanto Irie was born Anthony Garrick in January 1960 in Kingston, Jamaica and grew up in Trelawny, a rural farm parish. The name Tanto was given to him by Latin friends.He migrated to Brooklyn, New York in 1987 and has worked in diverse fields:   sales, factories, with an airline. Music, however, is his passion.“I want to see people come together through the music.   That’s what makes me keep trying,” he said.The People Profile Awards honored stalwarts who have contributed significantly to the South Florida Caribbean community.One of them is Tanto Irie. The 57-year-old grandfather has big dreams for the future.“I would like to have a performing arts center with a school of music where young talent can exercise themselves, have a place to play,”  he said. “To teach the music from engineering to instruments, to singers, artist development, and production. Helping artists,   helping   talent,   especially   under-privileged children who have no place to go so they can learn music, free of charge.” Copyright 2017 – Caribbean National Weekly Newslast_img read more

Haiti jolted by 5.9 magnitude earthquake

first_imgAt least 11 people in Haiti were killed when a 5.9 earthquake on October 5 close to the northernmost tip of Haiti.According to reports, seven people were killed in Port-de-Paix, the capital of Haiti’s Nord-Ouest department, while four others were killed in the town of Gros-Morne, about 50km to the southeast.The quake, which was felt across the country, struck at 8:10pm epth of 11.7km.The tremor was one of the strongest to hit Haiti since a 7.0-magnitude quake struck near the Port-au-Prince in 2010, killing tens of thousands of people.In a post on Twitter, President Jovenel Moise  urged people to remain calm after the civil protection agency reported the latest earthquake had caused outbreaks of panic in northern towns.Further reports were that Port-de-Paix, Gros-Morne, the town of Chansolme and the island of Tortuga suffered some of the worst damage and some houses were destroyed.last_img read more

Savannah Conference Confirm KPBL Superiority, As Kano Pillars, Gombe Bulls Qualify For Final

first_imgSavannah Conference duo, Kano Pillars, and Gombe Bulls secured victories in their respective semi-final games to qualify for the finals of the 2017 Kwese Premier Basketball League(KPBL) Final 8.In the first semi-final, Kano Pillars earned a 69-59 win against Kwara Falcons. The win could be largely attributed to the contributions of the pair of Abubakar Usman, who netted a game high 24 points, and Nwafor Joseph the games only double-double player, netting 10 points and recording 11 rebounds.Kwara Falcons were always up against the home support, but still, put up an appreciable performance on the game. Rotibi Gbenga of the Ilorin-based team finished with a game high 13 rebounds, while Mojuba Oyeleye netted points, positives for Kwara Falcons in the 10-point loss.In the second semi-final decided, Gombe Bulls defeated Hoops and Read 78-77, to set up an epic final meeting against Kano Pillars.It was indeed a delightful and brave performance from the privately sponsored Hoops and Read team who fought gallantly on the day, much to the admiration of the vocal supporters.Gombe Bulls won the first quarter 21-18, Hoops won the second quarter 45-44, and both teams tied the third quarter 61-61 before Gombe Bulls secured a nervy 78-77 win in the final quarter.RelatedUpsets Headline Nigerian Premier Basketball League Final 8September 5, 2017In “Nigeria”2019 NBBF Premier League To Dunk Off October 13October 3, 2019In “BasketBall”Kano Pillars Complete Successive League TitlesSeptember 10, 2017In “Nigeria”last_img read more

Betfair launches Fairer Game campaign seeking female football coaching talent

first_imgShare StumbleUpon Bookies Corner: Trump Presidency sinks as US 2020 enters its 100 day countdown July 29, 2020 Partnering up with Women in Football, Betfair has launched its ‘Fairer Game’ campaign this week, with the betting firm funding 50 female football coaches who will aim to gain their UEFA B licenses.The company has set itself the long-term goal of doubling the number of UK female football coaches with UEFA A licenses, which at present stands at 29 compared to +1,400 men.The bookmaker will cover the cost of £50,000 required for the 50 candidates to take up the UEFA B license course. Betfair will also provide learning opportunities for the coaches through the pre-existing Cash 4 Clubs initiative.In order to kick-start the initiative, Betfair has hired former Arsenal and England Woman’s professional footballer Rachel Yankey as Campaign Ambassador. Yankey who holds a UEFA coaching certificate, will provide mentoring for the 50 selected candidates.Yankey commented on the Fairer Game campaign; “As a youngster I was determined to follow my ambition and love for football and that determination is what got me to where I am today. Both representation and access for women in football has improved in recent years but it’s still not a level playing field, which is why I’m thrilled to be a part of the Betfair Fairer Game campaign.Betfair informs that candidates wishing to apply, have to be over 21-years and hold a UK Level 2 coaching qualification. Applications must be summited via the Fairer Game website at https://promotions.betfair.com/fairer-gameBetfair ‘Fairer Game’ Campaign Share ‘Deal maker’ Rafi Ashkenazi ends Flutter tenure  August 27, 2020 Related Articles Submit Flutter moves to refine merger benefits against 2020 trading realities August 27, 2020last_img read more

Filipino betting firm LETOU announced as Inter Milan sponsor

first_img Eleven Sports scores Belgian domestic football rights deal March 19, 2020 StumbleUpon Share Premier League eyes 17 June resumption May 29, 2020 Submit Share Related Articles Betsson inks new partnership with ibet January 13, 2020 LETOU has announced a partnership deal with Serie A giants Inter Milan to become the club’s first ever Asian online gaming partner.The Filipino firm will become the club’s Official Regional Online Gaming Partner, in an agreement that will see the club’s image and identity used as part of LETOU’s promotions in Asia.Hugely popular across Asia, the betting and gaming company has previously sponsored Swansea City when they were in the Premier League.The partnership will give Asian football fans the chance to engage with Inter, who will provide LETOU with LED perimeter board exposure at all domestic fixtures played at the San Siro stadium.LETOU CEO Paul Fox said: “In recent years, the ever-popular Serie A is becoming even more prominent in Asia and LETOU is honoured to be Inter’s first ever Asian online gaming partner.“The club’s great history, their fantastic international fanbase and the fact that Inter is back in the most important European competition, the UEFA Champions League, makes them ideally placed to support our continued growth in the Asian marketplace.”Inter Vice President Javier Zanetti attended the presentation of the partnership. “We believe that this new partnership will be successful” said Javier Zanetti “we are proud to partner with a premium brand such as LETOU.”Giorgio Brambilla, Inter Sales & Partnership Management Director, said: “LETOU has become an established brand in the football landscape and we are pleased to welcome such a prestigious and well known partner to our portfolio. Through this partnership they will be able to target millions of Inter fans throughout Asia.” The partnership will commence at the start of the Serie A 2018-19 season, which begins on 18 August.last_img read more

New ‘Bet Regret’ sees GambleAware ask bettors to rethink behaviours

first_img Targeting UK football fans, this weekend industry charity GambleAware launches the next phase of its ‘Bet Regret’ safer gambling campaign, which will encourage audiences to reconsider their gambling habits.Launching new Bet Regret marketing inventory, GambleAware will accompany the campaign with the tagline of ‘Think Twice or You’ll Bet Regret it’.GambleAware has run its Bet Regret campaign since February of this year, with the charity seeking to raise awareness of complex behaviours, triggers and symptoms attached to problem gambling.Seeking to drive its message, Bet Regret targets an estimated audience of 2.4 million young men aged between 16-34 who wager regularly on sport, and of which 87% regularly watch football.“The campaign is centred around raising awareness of three risky behaviours – betting whilst bored, drunk or chasing losses,” said GambleAware. “63% of this target audience believe that there are too many opportunities to bet nowadays, whist around 2 million adults suffer some level of harm related to gambling, including 340,000 that are problem gamblers.”GambleAware’s flagship campaign has been boosted by FTSE betting group GVC Holdings donating its £2 million title sponsorship of the Scottish Professional Football League (SPFL), which will see ‘Bet Regret’ promoted across all 42 SPFL syndicated football clubs’ grounds.Marc Etches – GambleAwareIn addition, English football clubs’ Sunderland AFC, West Bromwich Albion, Burnley, Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United, will feature the   Bet Regret logo across the clubs’ ‘key branding collateral’.Marc Etches, CEO of GambleAware, said: ‘The Bet Regret campaign is really starting to gain momentum, and seems, at this early stage, to be resonating with our audience. This season, we look to build on that, drive more conversations around Safer Gambling, and help people Think Twice to steer clear of Bet Regret.” GambleAware: Engage those with lived experience of gambling harms August 28, 2020 Share StumbleUpon Share GVC hires ‘comms pro’ Tessa Curtis to re-energise media profile  August 25, 2020 Submit Related Articles YGAM focuses on BAME community engagement with CVR link-up August 21, 2020last_img read more

#AFCONonCiti: Angola hold Tunisia to 1-1 draw

first_imgDjalma cancelled out Youssef Msakni’s first-half penalty to earn Angola a point against Tunisia in the Africa Cup of Nations.The 32-year-old fired home on the rebound after goalkeeper Farouk Ben Mustapha failed to hold on to Mateus’ goal-bound effort.Msakni had given Tunisia the lead from the spot 11 minutes before half-time.Mali face Mauritania in Group E’s other game later on Monday (21:00 BST kick-off).Tunisia came into the tournament as the second-highest-placed African nation in Fifa’s world rankings but struggled for long periods against Angola, who deserved their point after dominating possession in the second half.The Palancas Negras went closest to taking the lead prior to Msakni’s opener, Wilson Eduardo running on to Stelvio’s pass before drilling just wide of the far post.Alain Giresse’s side took the lead when Msakni stroked home from the spot after Naim Sliti had been tripped by Paizo inside the area.Angola dominated the second half without creating many clear-cut opportunities, but earned a point through Djalma’s strike.Former Sunderland player Wabhi Kazhri curled a low shot off target late on as Tunisia pushed for a winner, while Angola goalkeeper Tony Cabaca saved another Msaki effort in second-half stoppage time.Tunisia face Mali in their next group match on Friday (15:30 kick-off), while Angola take on Mauritania on Saturday (15:30)last_img read more

Mangala, Garay, 3 others test positive for coronavirus at Valencia

first_img Source: BBC Sport Five Valencia players and staff are “in good health” after testing positive for coronavirus, the club says.Valencia and Argentina defender Ezequiel Garay became the first La Liga player to announce a positive test earlier on Sunday.Later on Sunday, Valencia centre-back Eliaquim Mangala said he had tested positive and was self isolating.Spain is the second worst-hit country in Europe after Italy and is set to declare a national lockdown on Monday.Spain’s La Liga was suspended on Thursday after the Real Madrid squad went into quarantine.“It is clear I have started 2020 with bad luck,” Garay, 33, wrote on Instagram.“I am very well and must obey health authorities and stay isolated.”Ex-Manchester City player Mangala posted: “I knew today that I am Coronavirus positive. At the moment, I’m feeling good and I have no symptoms associated with the virus. However, I am confined in house and have no contact with my family.”A Valencia statement said the affected players and staff were “in their homes in good health and under isolation measures”.“We are confident that with solidarity, responsibility and good spirits we will beat this pandemic,” the club added.In the case involving Real Madrid, a member of their basketball team – who used the same training facilities as the football team – tested positive, leading to the side’s quarantine.Several players in Italy’s Serie A have tested positive for the virus, including on-loan Wolves forward Patrick Cutrone.Atalanta said their players and staff are self-isolating after they played Valencia at the Mestalla in the Champions League on Tuesday. Tags: Ezequiel Garaylast_img read more

Older Posts »