With Balkman ban lifted, can SMB reunion happen?

first_imgMOST READ Five years later, a repentant Balkman began his journey of redemption, winning the hearts of Filipino fans as a reinforcement for Alab Pilipinas in the Asean Basketball League. Playing alongside the charismatic Justin Brownlee, Balkman rediscovered the adoration that only Filipino fans can give and realized what he was missing.And fans of the game saw what they had been missing, as Balkman churned out strong performances with both his trademark passion and newfound maturity.Balkman was “happy” about the ban lifted by current PBA top chief Willie Marcial, his management team said. But he remained cautious and did not issue a statement, electing to focus on Alab Pilipinas’ campaign.“He wrote a letter of appeal then personally appeared in my office,” said Marcial. “But I didn’t decide just based on that. I solicited the thoughts of Commissioner Chito Salud and Arwind Santos. Both gave their thumbs-up for the lifting of the ban.”“I trust that he has learned his lesson and has become a better person and a more disciplined athlete. Good luck to him,” said Salud via a statement released by the PBA Media Bureau.ADVERTISEMENT “If he had his way, a return to San Miguel would be perfect because he has unfinished business there,” said Balkman’s agent, Sheryl Reyes.With the hardworking and passionate Balkman in tow during the Commissioner’s Cup five years ago, the Petron Blaze Boosters (now San Miguel Beer) were touted as heavy favorites for the title. Instead, his passion and fire caught the better of him and all it took was one major explosion to reduce the team’s bid to ashes.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownIn a game against the Alaska Aces, Balkman lost his cool and got into a tussle with teammate Arwind Santos, resulting in that controversial choking incident.And the punishment was swift and hard. Balkman was fined P250,000 and banned for life by then commissioner Chito Salud. St. Clare trips Letran, notches playoff berth Scarlett Johansson, Sterling K. Brown among SAG Awards presenters Cabuyao City rising above the ashes through volunteerism Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Conor McGregor seeks to emerge from controversy in UFC comeback “Balkman was apologetic and gave assurance for his behavior on and off the court. He has matured since the incident now that he’s 33,” said Marcial.The Beermen have already booked an import for the coming Commissioner’s Cup, which gets going April 22. And if San Miguel does elect to release him, Reyes said they are open to any offers from any team.”But should the Beermen need some extra muscle in their title hunt and ring up the Puerto Rican star, the lure of completing unfinished business would be too tantalizing to resist.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next In Liverpool, Man United sees the pain and path to recovery Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Recto seeks to establish Taal rehab body to aid community, eruption victims With Renaldo Balkman no longer banned from the Philippine Basketball Association, it is but fitting that the 33-year-old workhorse has set his sights on a comeback with one squad in mind—San Miguel Beer.And it’s not just because the Beermen own his rights.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

Student discovered dead in dormitory

first_imgGoodstein, who was last seen April 14, had not been attending classes, Young said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LAURINBURG, N.C. – Police on Tuesday were investigating the suspicious death of a college student from Santa Clarita who was found dead in his dorm room. The body of Daniel Goodstein, 22, was found Sunday in the dorm at St. Andrews Presbyterian College in North Carolina after a student smelled an odor coming from the room and called dorm monitors, The News & Observer of Raleigh reported on its Web site. Laurinburg police Detective Chris Young said investigators were treating the case as “a suspicious death” although there was no sign of foul play. Results were pending from an autopsy conducted Monday at the state Medical Examiner’s Office in Chapel Hill. last_img read more

DONEGAL TD ‘WORRIED’ AT MINISTER’S CHILD BENEFIT DEBATE

first_imgFianna Fáil has called for urgent clarity on the Government’s plans in relation to child benefit, following irresponsible and ill prepared kite-flying by the Education Minister on national radio this morning.The party’s Education Spokesperson Charlie McConalogue commented, “Is it really acceptable for a senior Cabinet Minister to go on national radio to ‘start a debate’ about such an important issue, without having any accurate facts or figures, without having consulted colleagues or experts and without having any answers whatsoever about what is coming down the line for families?“No one in Fianna Fáil will argue with the benefits of investing in pre-school education and giving all children the best chance at an equal start in life. That is why we introduced the free pre-school year in the first place, and we would certainly welcome investment in a second pre-school year. But it cannot be at the expense of supports for older children from lower income families who will miss out on this direct investment. “Minister Quinn’s back of the envelope economics raises far more questions than it answers and gives an insight into just how little thought has gone into this proposal. The Minister repeatedly claimed that €20 billion is currently invested in child benefit, when in fact the actual figure is €2.2 billion. He said an additional pre-school year would cost €150 million. The government has already cut €142 million from child benefit. Is Minister Quinn proposing that this €142 million be channelled into his department or is he talking about further slashing child benefit?“Rather than turning up for a chat on the national airwaves with half-baked facts and figures, the Minister would be much better advised to do some preparatory work, get the support of colleagues and present a credible, costed policy. If the Minister really wishes to ‘start a debate’ on this matter, we need to have the facts first.”ADVERTISEMENT DONEGAL TD ‘WORRIED’ AT MINISTER’S CHILD BENEFIT DEBATE was last modified: May 8th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DONEGAL TD ‘WORRIED’ AT MINISTER’S CHILD BENEFIT DEBATElast_img read more