With Balkman ban lifted, can SMB reunion happen?

first_imgMOST READ Five years later, a repentant Balkman began his journey of redemption, winning the hearts of Filipino fans as a reinforcement for Alab Pilipinas in the Asean Basketball League. Playing alongside the charismatic Justin Brownlee, Balkman rediscovered the adoration that only Filipino fans can give and realized what he was missing.And fans of the game saw what they had been missing, as Balkman churned out strong performances with both his trademark passion and newfound maturity.Balkman was “happy” about the ban lifted by current PBA top chief Willie Marcial, his management team said. But he remained cautious and did not issue a statement, electing to focus on Alab Pilipinas’ campaign.“He wrote a letter of appeal then personally appeared in my office,” said Marcial. “But I didn’t decide just based on that. I solicited the thoughts of Commissioner Chito Salud and Arwind Santos. Both gave their thumbs-up for the lifting of the ban.”“I trust that he has learned his lesson and has become a better person and a more disciplined athlete. Good luck to him,” said Salud via a statement released by the PBA Media Bureau.ADVERTISEMENT “If he had his way, a return to San Miguel would be perfect because he has unfinished business there,” said Balkman’s agent, Sheryl Reyes.With the hardworking and passionate Balkman in tow during the Commissioner’s Cup five years ago, the Petron Blaze Boosters (now San Miguel Beer) were touted as heavy favorites for the title. Instead, his passion and fire caught the better of him and all it took was one major explosion to reduce the team’s bid to ashes.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownIn a game against the Alaska Aces, Balkman lost his cool and got into a tussle with teammate Arwind Santos, resulting in that controversial choking incident.And the punishment was swift and hard. Balkman was fined P250,000 and banned for life by then commissioner Chito Salud. St. Clare trips Letran, notches playoff berth Scarlett Johansson, Sterling K. Brown among SAG Awards presenters Cabuyao City rising above the ashes through volunteerism Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Conor McGregor seeks to emerge from controversy in UFC comeback “Balkman was apologetic and gave assurance for his behavior on and off the court. He has matured since the incident now that he’s 33,” said Marcial.The Beermen have already booked an import for the coming Commissioner’s Cup, which gets going April 22. And if San Miguel does elect to release him, Reyes said they are open to any offers from any team.”But should the Beermen need some extra muscle in their title hunt and ring up the Puerto Rican star, the lure of completing unfinished business would be too tantalizing to resist.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next In Liverpool, Man United sees the pain and path to recovery Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Recto seeks to establish Taal rehab body to aid community, eruption victims With Renaldo Balkman no longer banned from the Philippine Basketball Association, it is but fitting that the 33-year-old workhorse has set his sights on a comeback with one squad in mind—San Miguel Beer.And it’s not just because the Beermen own his rights.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

Wainfest: Defence Forces invite you to join free family-friendly survival skills class

first_imgAs part of Wainfest 2017, the Irish Defence Forces are inviting you to join them for a special family-friendly survival skills class.Come along and be taught by the 28th Infantry Battalion Defence Force SERE Instructor who will guide you through a range of Survival Skills; from building shelters, making fires, and much more.Irish Army SERE instructors are highly trained in Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape skills. This event is for children aged 10+, and must be accompanied by an adult.The event takes place at Donegal County Museum on Saturday, October 7th, at 1:30pm and 3pm. The event is free but booking is required. As spaces are limited, make sure to secure your place by phoning the Donegal County Museum on 074 9124613, or email museum@donegalcoco.ie. You can also dropThe event is free but booking is required. As spaces are limited, make sure to secure your place by phoning the Donegal County Museum on 074 9124613, or email museum@donegalcoco.ie. You can also drop in to the museum on High Road, Letterkenny. Wainfest: Defence Forces invite you to join free family-friendly survival skills class was last modified: September 29th, 2017 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Defence forcesDonegal County MuseumWainfestlast_img read more

Weak AU dollar likely to boost domestic travel

first_imgAustralians are expected to relax and rejuvenate through domestic travel in the near future, according to the latest research findings released by TNS.TNS Australia head of travel Ed Steiner said in recent years Australians could justify a luxury overseas holiday better than a domestic holiday when the Australian dollar was so high against a weak US dollar.“We’re now on the verge of a sea change where shifts in the economic landscape and Australians’ renewed interest in local R&R and food and shopping experiences create a significant opportunity for the travel and retail sectors,” Mr Steiner said.“This opportunity is greatest for those businesses that understand the difference between cost and value.”The TNS study, sponsored by AMP Capital Shopping Centres, will act as a business case for Australian retailers in order for them to capitalise on the forecasted domestic travel boom.AMP Capital Shopping Centres managing director Bryan Hynes says they are well aware of how vital the tourism dollar is to the success of their centres.“We know at our Gold Coast shopping centre, Pacific Fair, more than 40 per cent of our sales come from tourist dollars,” Mr Hynes said.“We understand that the visitor economy is key to any successful shopping centre, especially in places like the Gold Coast, which has around 12 million visitors a year.”The research reveals shopping as a key theme in Australian domestic travel. Although it is not usually the sole motivation for domestic travel, the report suggests 85 per cent of travellers enjoy general browsing and shopping while on holiday.Also noted in the findings is the increase in domestic visitor overnight stays, for the year ending September 2014, overnight domestic travel contributed over AUD$53.7 billion to the Australian economy.Source = ETB Travel News: Brittney Levinsonlast_img read more

New York New York – Reported by Elite Traveler t

first_imgNew York, New York – Reported by Elite Traveler, the private jet lifestyle magazineIconic fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg is taking her signature style across the pond with her first-ever interior design project, a series of rooms and suites at Claridge’s, one of London’s most legendary hotels.As a loyal returning guest of Claridge’s since the 1970s, von Furstenberg’s iconic prints and bold colors feel right at home in the ultra-luxe hotel. “One of my fondest memories was when I was in London as a young, independent businesswoman and stayed at Claridge’s. I knew I had made it. To me, Claridge’s is the most glamorous hotel in the world; I regard it as my home away from home,” remarks von Furstenberg. “I am honored to become part of the hotel’s legacy and rich design history.”“For more than a century, Claridge’s has stood as an emblem of timeless glamour,” says Maybourne Hotel Group CEO Stephen Alden. “Our collaboration with the talented Diane von Furstenberg is the latest storyline within our history of forward-thinking design. Diane’s personal love and passion for Claridge’s provides a unique perspective which she will draw upon in executing her creative vision.”Visit www.claridges.co.uk to find out more.last_img read more