With Balkman ban lifted, can SMB reunion happen?

first_imgMOST READ Five years later, a repentant Balkman began his journey of redemption, winning the hearts of Filipino fans as a reinforcement for Alab Pilipinas in the Asean Basketball League. Playing alongside the charismatic Justin Brownlee, Balkman rediscovered the adoration that only Filipino fans can give and realized what he was missing.And fans of the game saw what they had been missing, as Balkman churned out strong performances with both his trademark passion and newfound maturity.Balkman was “happy” about the ban lifted by current PBA top chief Willie Marcial, his management team said. But he remained cautious and did not issue a statement, electing to focus on Alab Pilipinas’ campaign.“He wrote a letter of appeal then personally appeared in my office,” said Marcial. “But I didn’t decide just based on that. I solicited the thoughts of Commissioner Chito Salud and Arwind Santos. Both gave their thumbs-up for the lifting of the ban.”“I trust that he has learned his lesson and has become a better person and a more disciplined athlete. Good luck to him,” said Salud via a statement released by the PBA Media Bureau.ADVERTISEMENT “If he had his way, a return to San Miguel would be perfect because he has unfinished business there,” said Balkman’s agent, Sheryl Reyes.With the hardworking and passionate Balkman in tow during the Commissioner’s Cup five years ago, the Petron Blaze Boosters (now San Miguel Beer) were touted as heavy favorites for the title. Instead, his passion and fire caught the better of him and all it took was one major explosion to reduce the team’s bid to ashes.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownIn a game against the Alaska Aces, Balkman lost his cool and got into a tussle with teammate Arwind Santos, resulting in that controversial choking incident.And the punishment was swift and hard. Balkman was fined P250,000 and banned for life by then commissioner Chito Salud. St. Clare trips Letran, notches playoff berth Scarlett Johansson, Sterling K. Brown among SAG Awards presenters Cabuyao City rising above the ashes through volunteerism Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Conor McGregor seeks to emerge from controversy in UFC comeback “Balkman was apologetic and gave assurance for his behavior on and off the court. He has matured since the incident now that he’s 33,” said Marcial.The Beermen have already booked an import for the coming Commissioner’s Cup, which gets going April 22. And if San Miguel does elect to release him, Reyes said they are open to any offers from any team.”But should the Beermen need some extra muscle in their title hunt and ring up the Puerto Rican star, the lure of completing unfinished business would be too tantalizing to resist.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next In Liverpool, Man United sees the pain and path to recovery Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Recto seeks to establish Taal rehab body to aid community, eruption victims With Renaldo Balkman no longer banned from the Philippine Basketball Association, it is but fitting that the 33-year-old workhorse has set his sights on a comeback with one squad in mind—San Miguel Beer.And it’s not just because the Beermen own his rights.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

Breaking: Police dent carjacking ring

first_imgAs Police in A Division continue dent the car hijacking ring as several cars and canter trucks were seized in Kuru Kururu Soesdyke/Linden Highway on Monday night.Additionally, another team of Police ranks swooped down on workshop at Yarrowkabra in search of other vehicles and vehicle parts suspected to have been stolen or unlawfully obtained. Several persons were arrested.More details in February 14th edition of Guyana Times.last_img