Back-to-back losses drop Huskies to fifth place

first_imgAfter losing Saturday by a score of 6-2, the Huskies entered round two with the Wolverines in a Sunday afternoon showdown, but unfortunately, were unable to tie the weekend series, losing once again, by a score of 6-4.Despite back-to-back losses, the Huskies can take some positivity home with them regarding their power play. Sunday, all four goals scored by Fort St. John were with the man advantage, with rookie defenseman Dave Marshell registering a point on every Huskies tally. Marshell finished the game with a goal and three assists. Huskies Captain Cody Hildebrand also had a strong Sunday, earning a goal and two assists in the loss.As the huskies were unable to register a point over the weekend, they were unfortunately passed in the NWJHL standings by the Sexsmith Vipers, who now occupy fourth place by a one point margin over fifth place Fort St. John.- Advertisement -The Huskies will look to regain their former fourth place position Friday, Oct. 28, when they welcome the 1-7 Dawson Creek Junior Canucks to Fort St. John. The game will be at the North Peace Arena and will begin at 8 p.m.last_img read more

Yorkie becomes toxic-food fatality

first_imgPebbles’ owner ,Jeff Kerner, 48, of Sherman Oaks, said the dog was healthy before eating tainted dog food, which apparently triggered renal failure. Menu Foods, the Canadian maker of the food, announced last Friday that it was recalling 60 million cans and pouches of wet dog and cat food sold throughout North America. It affects 91 brands, including Food Lion, Iams and Nutro, sold under store and brand labels at Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other retailers. Los Angeles County officials had already confirmed at least nine cases of kidney failure in dogs and cats exposed to the recalled food, said Jonathan Fielding, county director of public health. Of those nine animals, three dogs and two cats have died, he said. “These are dogs and cats that have specifically eaten that food,” he said. “Clearly, there’s something going on here.” SYLMAR – Pebbles, the Yorkshire terrier who grew ill after eating recalled dog food and became a symbol of the food scare’s impact on pet owners nationwide, died Thursday. “She passed away this morning,” said Joan Newell, a receptionist at Collett Veterinary Clinic in Sylmar. Pebbles’ fight for life was first reported by the Daily News and then covered in a number of TV reports. Since last Friday, the 7-year-old normally healthy pooch had been treated at the veterinary clinic, where she was being fed intravenously. County health officials on Tuesday conducted a telephone survey of 219 area pet stores, and found that all but two had removed the affected products from shelves. Fielding said he was more concerned about large retail and grocery stores that might have the pet foods among numerous other products. The Associated Press contributed to this reportlast_img read more