Food Loss, Waste, a Barrier to Poverty Reduction

first_imgThe world loses or wastes one-quarter to one-third of all food produced for human consumption, according to the latest issue of the World Bank’s quarterly Food Price Watch citing Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and World Resources Institute estimates.In regions rife with undernourishment, such as Africa and South Asia, this shocking loss translates to 400 to 500 calories per person, per day—and up to 1520 calories in the developed world.World Bank Group president Jim Yong Kim said “The amount of food wasted and lost globally is shameful.” “Millions of people around the world go to bed hungry every night and yet millions of tons of food end up in trash cans or spoiled on the way to market. We have to tackle this problem in every country in order to improve food security and to end poverty.”According to the latest edition of Food Price Watch , global food prices declined by 3 percent over the last quarter but remain close to historical peaks, driven by record-setting harvests in wheat, maize and rice, increased supplies, and stronger global stocks.Domestic prices showed large variations across countries, as is typical. Stable prices continue among a number of regions, while mixed trends are evident in East and South Asia, as a result of seasonal factors, procurement policies, and localized production shortfalls.According to the report, the Bank’s Food Price Index in January 2014 was 11 percent lower than a year ago, and 18 percent below the all-time peak in August 2012. However, prices over the last quarter declined by only half the amount of the previous quarter (June-October 2013). Wheat prices notably declined by 15 percent this quarter, reversing previously seen increases (especially in October 2013), and the price of internationally traded maize fell by 2 percent, extending the consecutive price decline to nine months.Pressures on food prices are expected to weaken in the short term, with normal trends in terms of crop conditions anticipated in the coming months. However, weather concerns in Argentina, Australia, and parts of China, higher oil prices, and the anticipated release of rice stockpiles in Thailand, need continued careful monitoring.The report also outlines the economic, environmental, natural resources and poverty implications of food loss and waste, and suggests engineering and policy interventions in developing and developed countries to tackle this growing issue.How the World Bank Group is helpingThe World Bank Group says it is committed to boosting agriculture and agriculture-related investment. In 2013, new Bank Group commitments to agriculture and related sectors were US$8.1 billion.   For IBRD/IDA, assistance to agriculture and related sectors has risen from an average of 9 percent of total lending in FY10-12, to 12 percent in FY13.The International Finance Corporation (IFC), according to the World Bank, made US$4.4 billion in private sector investments across the food supply chain in FY13. These investments, the Bank said supported projects that promote access to finance, access to inputs like seeds, equipment and advice, and access to markets through infrastructure and food-processing facilities.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

21 days ago​Arsenal boss Emery delighted with Tierney performance

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say ​Arsenal boss Emery delighted with Tierney performanceby Paul Vegas21 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal boss Unai Emery is delighted with Kieran Tierney after his return from injury.The summer signing from Celtic backed up his impressive debut last week with another quality display in Thursday’s comfortable win over Standard Liege.Asked about Tierney’s performance, Emery said: “Kieran after his injury is coming back with a good attitude.”He played last week against Nottingham Forest for 80 minutes with a good performance, and tonight was another very good performance.”We are a better competitive team with him and with Sead Kolasinac at left back. We are happy with him.” last_img

Alabama Football: Here’s Video Of Nick Saban’s Daughter Dancing As The Alabama Mascot At Her Wedding

first_imgA closeup of Nick Saban on the Alabama sideline.TUSCALOOSA, AL – NOVEMBER 22: Head coach Nick Saban of the Alabama Crimson Tide looks on during the game against the Western Carolina Catamounts at Bryant-Denny Stadium on November 22, 2014 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)Saturday night, Nick Saban’s daughter, Kristen, got married at Bryant-Denny Stadium, which, of course, is the ultimate dream for any Crimson Tide fan. The wedding was complete with a rendition of ‘Sweet Home Alabama’ and a number of other Alabama-themed activities for guests. But one takes the cake.Kristen Saban and her new husband, Adam Setas, danced with Alabama mascot heads. Yep, Saban danced with the Big Al headpiece on at her wedding. There was more than one, too. Check it out:Weird? A little. But if you’re going to go full Alabama at your wedding, this is how to do it.last_img read more

Arkansas Drops An Awesome Hype Video For Saturday’s Mississippi State Game

first_imgArkansas player getting carried off the field after a big win.YouTube/Arkansas RazorbacksFor the second straight season, the Arkansas Razorbacks have rebounded from a shaky start to the season to go on an impressive SEC West winning streak. Starting with a four-overtime win over Auburn, the Hogs have won four straight, with three victories in division. Two weeks ago, they beat Ole Miss in overtime, and last Saturday, they blew out LSU in Baton Rouge. Underestimating Arkansas would not be wise right now. With this week’s hype video ahead of the Mississippi State game, Arkansas has a message for the opposition: “don’t mess with them bad boys in red.” last_img

4-Star Alabama Commit VanDarius Cowan Makes It Clear He Isn’t Interested In Any Other Schools

first_imgVanDarius Cowan commits to Alabama and poses with Nick Saban.Palm Beach Gardens (FL) defensive end/outside linebacker VanDarius Cowan wants fans to know he’s not considering any other school.After committing to Florida State, Cowan switched his interest to the Crimson Tide, to which he gave a hard commitment in April. With recruits constantly posting their top schools of interest across social media, Cowan took the time to emphasize to ‘Bama fans that he’s not going anywhere else. Here is my Top 4 No order … Alabama Alabama Alabama Alabama Thanks To Everyone that have recruited me this far— VanDarius Cowan (@vandarius98) July 15, 2016The OLB is ranked at No. 141 on 247Sports’ National Composite Rankings. The site also ranked him as the 23rd-best player in the state of Florida.last_img

Southwestern US states close to sealing drought deal

Filed under: uinqbywb — Tags: , , , — admin @ 4:10 am October 13, 2019

first_imgLAS VEGAS — Water managers from seven Southwestern states that depend on the Colorado River for drinking and irrigation water are getting closer to finalizing an unprecedented drought contingency plan they may have to enact in 2020, officials said Thursday.The federal government’s top water official, Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner Brenda Burman, was expected to urge action by representatives of Indian tribes and government agencies from Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming during an address at an annual conference in Las Vegas.A pact was supposed to be signed by the end of 2018, under threat that the bureau that controls the water distribution levers on the river would impose its own restrictions affecting drinking water to 40 million people and irrigation for crops in arid parts of U.S. and Mexico.Arizona and Nevada are would be the first states to feel the pinch if a shortage is declared as expected next year. Supplies to California also could be curtailed.After 19 years of drought and increasing demand, the river’s two largest federal water managers project a 52 per cent chance that the river’s biggest reservoir, Lake Mead behind Hoover Dam, will fall low enough to trigger cutbacks under agreements governing the system.The Lower Colorado River Basin states of California, Arizona and Nevada want to keep Lake Mead behind Hoover Dam above a shortage declaration trigger point by using less water than they’re legally entitled to receive.If the lake falls below that level, Arizona will face a 9 per cent reduction in water supply, Nevada a 3 per cent cut and California up to 8 per cent. Mexico’s share of river water also would be reduced.Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming want to keep the surface of Lake Powell above a target level to continue water deliveries to irrigation districts and cities and also keep hydroelectric turbines humming at Glen Canyon Dam.Lake Powell is currently at 43 per cent capacity and Lake Mead is at 38 per cent.Water officials in most of the affected states have signed off on plans in recent weeks, including the key Central Arizona Project irrigation system and the sprawling Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, which serves some 19 million people.Arizona’s plan, unlike other states, still needs approval from state lawmakers. They convene in January.Ken Ritter, The Associated Presslast_img read more

Oil prices Alberta election call cloud Stampede chuckwagon auction expectations

first_imgThe current NDP government introduced controversial oil production curtailments in January and is investing in crude-by-rail capacity to fill a shortfall in export pipeline room.Bensmiller also took the prize for the highest tarp price of $130,000 last year as a total of $3.2 million was bid at the auction.“I’m hoping with the economy the way it is, if we stay close to what it was last year or even the average comes up a bit as a whole, the driver group will be pretty excited about that,” he said in an interview.“I’ve talked to a few (prospective sponsors) and they expressed interest in me so I’m not really on pins and needles.”The top money bid last year came from Versatile Energy Services, Ltd., a private oilfield services company based in the resort town of Sylvan Lake in central Alberta.Versatile president Kent Stormoen said he plans to be at the event tonight but declined to make any predictions for results given the province’s current uncertain times. “The industry still isn’t rolling like we expect it to but (the sponsorship) did help with the exposure of our company,” he said.“I think there’s a lot of uncertainty with the provincial election coming now and the new federal budget that’s come out.”Stampede spokeswoman Kristina Barnes said Wednesday the number of bidders who have pre-registered for the auction is at more than 130, a bit behind last year’s pace while adding many bidders register just before the event.The record year for overall tarp auction results came in 2012 when bidders pledged just over $4 million, including the highest bid of $300,000 by oilfield services firm Tervita Corp. At the time, oil prices were hovering above US$100 per barrel versus recent prices of around US$60 per barrel. CALGARY, A.B. – Chuckwagon drivers and sponsors are hoping for the best as clouds of political and energy industry uncertainty gather ahead of the Calgary Stampede canvas auction tonight.The success of the annual event is considered a bellwether for the Calgary-based oil and gas industry, as many of the sponsors who pay to have their company names on the 36 rigs competing in the 10-day July tribute to cowboy culture are energy industry players.Champion driver Kurt Bensmiller, who won the chuckwagon derby for the fourth time in five years in 2018, says the calling of an Alberta election on Tuesday creates more uncertainty for an economy battered by recent commodity price volatility and slowing oilfield activity.center_img About 80 percent of the canvas auction proceeds go to the drivers and the rest is used for prize money, safety and other chuckwagon initiatives.last_img read more

Turkey recounts Istanbul votes after Erdogans party appeals loss

Filed under: osmnsxlu — Tags: , , , , , , , — admin @ 10:26 am October 12, 2019

first_imgIstanbul: Turkish electoral authorities on Wednesday recounted votes in more than a dozen Istanbul districts after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s ruling AKP challenged results giving the opposition a narrow victory in a weekend election. The AKP won most votes nationwide in Sunday’s municipal ballot, but tallies also showed the party lost the capital Ankara and the country’s economic hub Istanbul in one of its worst setbacks in a decade and a half in power. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USAKP officials on Tuesday filed a challenge with electoral authorities saying they had found irregularities in ballots in both Ankara and Istanbul. “The district branches of the electoral board in Istanbul decided to recount the ballots in eight districts after the appeals yesterday,” Supreme Election Board chief Sadi Guven told reporters. Anadolu state news agency later said officials were recounting votes in 18 Istanbul districts, including in three where every vote was being verified. In the other districts, officials were checking only nullified ballots. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsAKP officials had said there was a huge discrepancy between ballots cast at polling stations and data sent to election authorities. Istanbul, Turkey’s largest city, was a key election prize for Erdogan and he presented former premier and loyalist Binali Yildirim to run as the party candidate for mayor. Erdogan, himself a former Istanbul mayor, had campaigned hard in the city. But the ruling party was stung by the economy with Turkey in recession for the first time in a decade and inflation in double digits. Istanbul was a tight race and both Yildirim and the opposition CHP candidate Ekrem Imamoglu declared victory when tallies showed them in a dead heat. Electoral authorities on Monday said Imamoglu was ahead by 28,000 votes with nearly all ballot boxes tallied, prompting AKP officials to challenge the result. “The world is watching us, watching the results of our city’s election,” Imamoglu told reporters on Wednesday, asking that he be handed his mandate as soon as possible. “I say clearly: Don’t let Turkey’s credibility be destroyed by 3 or 4 people acting like they are kids who had their toys taken away from them.” But the AKP was fighting back. Deputy chairman Ali Ihsan Yavuz claimed the difference had now slipped to fewer than 20,000 votes between Imamoglu and Yildirim. Imamoglu had 48.79 per cent of the votes while Yildirim had 48.52 percent, Anadolu news agency reported on Tuesday, citing preliminary results. It reported close to 300,000 votes had been annulled in Istanbul voting on election day. A loss in Istanbul would be especially sensitive for Erdogan, who grew up in the city’s working-class Kasimpasa neighbourhood and liked to tell AKP rank-and-file that victory in the city was like winning all of Turkey. Asked about the AKP’s challenge on Tuesday, a US State Department spokesman urged parties to accept election results. “I would say that free and fair elections are essential to any democracy and this means acceptance of legitimate election results are essential. And we expect nothing less from Turkey,” deputy spokesman Robert Palladino said in a briefing. Turkey’s presidential communications director Fahrettin Altun responded, urging “all parties, including foreign governments, to respect the legal process and refrain from taking any steps that may be construed as meddling in Turkey’s internal affairs,” Anadolu reported. Ties between NATO allies United States and Turkey have been frayed recently by several differences, including Ankara’s purchase of a Russian missile system, a deal for US-made F-35 fighters and disagreements over US support for Kurdish fighters in Syria’s war. Some pro-government newspapers on Wednesday branded the Istanbul defeat an as electoral “coup” similar to the failed coup Erdogan survived in 2016. That bid was blamed by Turkish officials on a US-based Muslim preacher, Fethullah Gulen.last_img read more