Groves set for rematch with Anderson

first_imgGeorge Groves will defend his British super-middleweight title in a rematch against Kenny Anderson at Wembley Arena on Saturday 16 March.The unbeaten Hammersmith fighter, who also holds the Commonwealth belt, was given a tough time by Anderson when they clashed in November 2010.Groves endured some worrying moments and was floored before battling back to stop the Scot in the sixth round of an explosive fight in Manchester.Double champion Groves is unbeaten in his 14 fights.It is the 29-year-old Anderson’s only defeat in his 15 professional contests and he has secured a rematch after the British Boxing Board of Control installed him as the mandatory challenger.Their second encounter takes places 10 days before Groves’ 24th birthday and will give an indication of how far the Londoner has progressed since beating Anderson.He beat bitter local rival James DeGale on a majority points decision last May to take the British title, and ended 2011 with a two-round demolition of former champion Paul Smith.But he continues to be criticised for being too easy to hit and was caught with a crunching right during his brief fight with Smith, which was also at Wembley Arena.A second victory over Anderson could pave the way for another grudge match with DeGale or a possible world title shot later this year.Promoter Frank Warren won the purse bids to stage the fight, which Anderson wanted to take place in his home city of Edinburgh.Related stories and features:Injury rules Groves out of Liverpool fightA work in progressI’m not world class – yetGroves blasts away Smith at Wembley‘Ugly kid’ looks the partDeGale eyes rematch with ‘chicken’ GrovesLet history decideOnes to watch in 2012 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Chandu Chavan hasn’t been court-martialled: minister

first_imgPune: Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre on Sunday denied that Sepoy Chandu Babulal Chavan, who strayed over the LoC during the surgical strikes last year, had been court-martialled, saying instead that “disciplinary action” had been initiated against the soldier.“One must understand that there has been no court martial in the first place … There is nothing wrong with him (Mr. Chavan) as a soldier … he is a good lad. But he committed three mistakes. I will not reveal in what condition he crossed the LoC as it would not be fair to the Army or to Chavan,” the Minister said, speaking in Dhule district.Mr. Chavan’s first mistake, said Dr. Bhamre, was that he left camp without informing superiors. “His second mistake was that he took his weapons with him, and his third was to cross the LoC.”Mr. Bhamre said the punishment following a court-martial cannot be a mere two-three months in jail, but is much more severe than that. He said media reports had distorted events of the proceedings against Mr. Chavan.“Furthermore, his job in the Army is secure and he has not been thrown in any jail,” the minister said, stressing again that the Indian Armed Forces had merely taken disciplinary action against him.Mr. Chavan, who hails from Dhule district’s Borvihir village, was handed over by Pakistan in January as a ‘goodwill gesture’. The Pakistan armed forces’ media wing had claimed that Mr. Chavan had wilfully crossed the LoC on September 29, 2016, and surrendered himself to the Pakistan army.Last week, the Indian Army court sentenced Mr. Chavan, serving with the 37 Rashtriya Rifles, to two months’ imprisonment and forfeiture of two years’ pension as penalty, after the soldier pleaded guilty of deserting his post without permission.Mr. Chavan’s grandmother had suffered cardiac arrest and had passed away after hearing that he was in the captivity of Pakistan’s armed forces. His family has said that he has already suffered enough during his time in Pakistan.last_img read more

New roadblock for Manipur varsity

first_imgTribal students’ bodies have given a highway blockade twist to the Manipur University crisis.Three organisations have threatened to impose a five-day economic blockade on all national highways connecting State capital Imphal if the authorities concerned cannot let normal classes and other academic activities in Manipur University resume by October 8.Separate university These organisations have also demanded a separate Hill Central University to ensure that the tribal students have an alternative to the disruption-prone university in the non-tribal dominated Imphal Valley.The All Tribal Students’ Union, Manipur, the Kuki Students’ Organisation-General Headquarters and the All Naga Students’ Association, Manipur, had on October 2 served a seven-day ultimatum to the University authorities to resume classes. The decision to go for a highway blockade was taken at their meeting on Thursday.Manipur depends on two arterial highways – one via Nagaland capital Kohima and the other via Jiribam on the Assam-Manipur border – for supply of essential commodities. A third highway through Mizoram is relatively less used.These highways pass through areas dominated by the Nagas and the Kuki-Zomi tribes, and blocking them has been a popular mode of protest against the allegedly partisan Manipur government.At their meeting on Thursday, the ATSUM, KSO-GHQ and ANSAM said they were “anguished by the premeditated holding of the career of students to ransom because of the agenda of a few individuals with vested interests in Manipur University”.‘Facing hardships’The three organisations said that tribal students face hardship every year. “We want a Hill Central University so that all the colleges in the hill districts can be affiliated to it and be assured of ideal academic atmosphere,” a joint statement said.The tribal students have stayed away from the agitation by organisations of Manipur University’s students, teachers and staff since July against alleged financial and administrative irregularities by Vice-Chancellor Adya Prasad Pandey. The Ministry of Human Resources Development had made him go on leave till a two-member probe committee submits a report on the allegations against him, but the university continues to burn. On September 20 midnight, police and paramilitary forces raided the campus and rounded up 89 students and six teachers for allegedly manhandling Pro-Vice-Chancellor K. Yugindro. Based on his FIR that the students and teachers had tried to kill him, the police arrested nine students and six teachers.last_img read more

Impressive five-gold haul helps India regain no. 2 spot

first_imgWinning 15 medals in sports ranging from archery to athletics, which included five yellow metals, Commonwealth Games hosts India produced yet another scintillating display to get back to the second spot grabbed last evening by England.Teenager Deepika Kumari and Rahul Banerjee won gold medals in individual recurve events on the last day of the competition to help India end their campaign in archery with three golds, one silver and four bronze medals.India’s Prajusha Maliakkal celebrates after winning the silver in the women’s long jump event of the Commonwealth Games at Jawharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi on Sunday. Photo: PTIBesides these two titles, India also bagged two bronze medals in archery through senior pros Dola Banerjee and Jayanta Talukdar in the individual recurve event.World freestyle wrestling champion Sushil Kumar and boxing pin-up boy Vijender Singh came up with thundering displays that fetched them a gold and a spot in the semi final respectively.Pistol shooter Harpreet Singh and tennis player Somdev Devvarman were the others to fetch gold medals for India to boost the overall tally to 29, just one short of their record tally of 30 won eight years ago at Manchester.There were also two silver medals from athletics during the day, a discipline in which India have never won more than one medal at any single Games in the past and now have claimed four here.Field athletes Vikas Gowda, in men’s discus, and Malliakal Prajusha, in women’s long jump, won the two silver medals.India’s Sarvanjit Singh (L) celebrates after scoring a goal against Pakistan in men’s hockey preliminaries of the Commonwealth games at the Major Dhyanchand National Hockey Stadium in New Delhi on Sunday. Photo: PTITo cap a great day, the Indian men’s hockey team shed their nerves when faced with a do-or-die situation and hammered arch-rivals Pakistan 7-4 to qualify for the semi finals.Barring Akhil Kumar, who was knocked out in the quarter finals, most other medal contenders in the boxing ring took their places in the semis with Vijender’s knock-out of his Elias Nashivela in just over a minute being the most impressive one.advertisementWorld freestyle wrestling champion Sushil Kumar too produced a superb display to win the 66kg class to add lustre to a splendid Indian show on the mat that fetched India their tenth gold from the mat.India’s tally of 29-22-22 kept them ahead of England’s 26-45-30 while Australia were speeding ahead of the rest with a total haul of 61-36-37.–with PTI inputslast_img read more

POST COMMONWEALTH BEACH OLYMPICS

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks & Caicos Islands, 14 Oct 2014 (TCIG Press Release)- Organizers of the 10th Annual Commonwealth Games Beach Olympics were not disappointed this weekend as their event saw hundreds of children accompanied by their parents gathered at Governor’s Beach for a day of fun, sports and competition. There was not a dull moment as various sports were going on at one time or another. We saw the swimming competition taking off with children of all ages, some came to just learn how to swim. The Facilitators from Ocean Academy and Big Blue out of Providenciales truly worked the Swimmers that they never wanted to leave the water. It was a sight to behold as the Beach came alive with action, excitement, and colour as the 4 zones showed up in their zoning colors: Red, Orange, Green and Purple or just anything colourful. Everyone came out to represent and ensure their Zone would walk away with the winning Trophy and title of Best Sporting Zone in Grand Turk.There were various sports being played: Volleyball, Rugby, Swimming, Horse Back Riding, Cultural Games, Weightlifting and a new sport was also introduced, Boules that showed adults and children taking great interest in.However, at the end of the day once the points were tallied in all sports, it was South Back Salina, the Orange Team that came out as the Best Sporting Zone in Grand Turk. In the Volleyball Competition it was the Turks and Caicos Community College walking away with the Trophy and cash prize. The Strong Woman Contest went to Rose-Anna Henry, and the Strong Man went to Ronald Parker. The Horse Race was won by Josh Smith whilst many other children won in their sports with medals and prizes.The President of the CGA, said she was very pleased with the outcome and thanked all those companies that partnered with the CGA, comprising of Kia Motors for sponsoring the T-Shirts, Chloe and Ben of Big Blue and Greg Doolittle of Ocean Academy out of Providenciales for giving of their time and working with the swimmers so diligently, Grand Turk Liquors, Palm Grove Variety Store, Rosa’s Variety Store, Walter Gardiner, Wally’s Restaurant, Cee’s Food Store, Do It Center, Jack Shack and Bohio Resort. Thanks also to the Zone Leaders and volunteers for taking time out of their busy schedule and assisting with this event. It is remarkable that we can give of our time to ensure that our Youths are being empowered through sports and healthy living. END Related Items:big blue, Cee’s Food Store, cga, Commonwealth Games Beach Olympics, Do It Center, Grand Turk Liquors, Jack Shack and Bohio Resort, ocean academy, Palm Grove Variety Store, Rosa’s Variety Store, Wally’s Restaurant, Walter Gardiner Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Zero new HIV/AIDS cases not ambitious say TCI Prevention Unit Recommended for you Walter Gardiner new CEO of NIB See Vendor Expo & New Showroom at Provo Do it Center on Saturdaylast_img read more

Council President Georgette Gomez on new affordable housing policy

first_img August 13, 2019 Posted: August 13, 2019 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The San Diego City Council recently approved a change to the city’s affordable housing policy that requires developers to pay a larger share of the costs to build homes for low-income people.The update raises the fee developers pay to avoid including affordable housing in their projects. In projects where developers do include affordable units, they would have to reserve them for slightly lower-income households and charge cheaper rents.This change to the “inclusionary housing” policy was proposed by Council President Georgette Gomez and was narrowly approved by the City Council on a 5-4 vote on first reading. KUSI Newsroom Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, Council President Georgette Gomez on new affordable housing policylast_img read more

Power Plant at Schofield Barracks Advances past Environmental Review

JabaleNoor bus owner on 7day remand

first_imgRAB detains Jabal-e-Noor Paribahan owner Shahadat HossainA Dhaka court on Thursday placed owner of ‘Jabal-e-Noor Paribahan’ bus, Shahadat Hossain, on a seven-day remand for interrogation over killing two college students in a recent road accident on Airport Road, reports UNB.Dhaka metropolitan magistrate Noor Nahar Yasmin passed the order when DB police inspector Kazi Shariful Islam, the investigation officer of the case, produced him before the court seeking a 10-day remand for him.Members of Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) arrested Shahadat Hossain, the owner of the killer bus (DM-Ba-11-9297), from the city on Wednesday noon.Asked by the court whether he has anything to say, Shahadat said, “I bought the bus with my life’s savings. It was my mistake to buy the vehicle. If I knew that such a situation would occur, I wouldn’t have bought the vehicle. I also have no idea about such matters of drivers.”Diya Khanam Mim and Abdul Karim Rajib, students of the college section of Shaheed Ramiz Uddin School and College, were killed as the bus of ‘Jabal-e-Noor Paribahan ploughed through some students on the Airport Road on Sunday last.A case was filed over the accident with Cantonment Police Station on Sunday night.last_img read more

Model suggests 1812 San Andreas earthquake may have been set off by

first_img Citation: Model suggests 1812 San Andreas earthquake may have been set off by San Jacinto quake (2016, March 14) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2016-03-san-andreas-earthquake-jacinto-quake.html 7.5 quake on California fault could be disastrous © 2016 Phys.org Journal information: Science Advances Back in 1812 a major earthquake struck southern California near what is now San Bernardino—modern study of damage from the quake suggested it was approximately a magnitude 7.5 quake. There was little damage because there were few structures in the area back then, though approximately 40 people were killed when a church they were in collapsed. For many years, Earth scientists have assumed that the quake was due solely to activity along the San Andreas Fault. In this new effort, Lozos suggests that the quake may have actually been set off by a quake along the San Jacinto fault line.Lozos’ findings are part of a study that included field trips to several sites in an area where the San Andreas Fault and the San Jacinto Fault nearly merge. While there, he found evidence of three strands—where sections of fault are separated by bits of crust that has remained intact—one near the San Andreas fault and two near the San Jacinto fault. Each strand is evidence of an earthquake, but reports from people in the area suggest there were only two earthquakes during the time period under study—in 1812 and 1800, which suggested that one of the strands on the San Andreas Fault and one on the San Jacinto Fault were evidence of the same quake. Lozos also looked at other data collected by other researchers doing working on faults in the area—all of it went into a model he built to describe seismic activity in the area surrounding the time frame of the 1812 quake. The model showed that the most likely scenario that could account for the data that has been collected was that a quake had occurred along the San Jacinto fault line and as it made its way near the San Andreas fault line, the disruption caused a quake to occur along that fault line as well.Lozos is quick to point out that his model is just that and that thus far he has no evidence to suggest that such a double quake is imminent, but he also notes that if it happened before, it could happen again, noting that southern California is long overdue for a pretty big tumbler. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.center_img More information: J. C. Lozos. A case for historic joint rupture of the San Andreas and San Jacinto faults, Science Advances (2016). DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.1500621AbstractThe San Andreas fault is considered to be the primary plate boundary fault in southern California and the most likely fault to produce a major earthquake. I use dynamic rupture modeling to show that the San Jacinto fault is capable of rupturing along with the San Andreas in a single earthquake, and interpret these results along with existing paleoseismic data and historic damage reports to suggest that this has likely occurred in the historic past. In particular, I find that paleoseismic data and historic observations for the ~M7.5 earthquake of 8 December 1812 are best explained by a rupture that begins on the San Jacinto fault and propagates onto the San Andreas fault. This precedent carries the implications that similar joint ruptures are possible in the future and that the San Jacinto fault plays a more significant role in seismic hazard in southern California than previously considered. My work also shows how physics-based modeling can be used for interpreting paleoseismic data sets and understanding prehistoric fault behavior. Records of the December 1812 earthquake in southern California. Credit: Lozos Sci. Adv. 2016; 2 : e1500621 Explore further (Phys.org)—An assistant researcher professor with California State University has found evidence that the powerful quake that struck southern Californian back in 1812 may have been precipitated by a fault line other than the San Andreas. In his paper published in the journal Science Advances, Julian C. Lozos describes a computer model he created using real world data, what it showed, and why his findings suggest that a future double earthquake could occur someday in the area.last_img read more