Home 2019October07

Coop workhops geared to help students succeed on work terms

The Co-op Programs office is hosting a series of co-op employment training workshops this fall to help prepare students for their upcoming work terms.The workshops are open to second-year undergraduate students and graduate students, and cover program expectations, nailing the job interview and networking with industry professionals.“The workshop series is absolutely essential in learning about the career possibilities that exist in today’s labour market,” said Julia Zhu, senior relationship manager in the Co-op Programs office. “Identifying employment and industry trends will assist students in determining the path their job search should take.”Workshop topics and dates are:• Co-op employer mock interviews, Oct. 22, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Pond Inlet.• Co-op alumni night, Oct. 29, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in AS 204.• Frequently used business applications on a co-op work term, Nov. 6, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., TH 247.• Brand yourself on social media, Nov. 12, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., AS 204.• Employer mock interviews, Nov. 13, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Pond Inlet.• Employer panel discussion: Arts, social science and science programs, Nov. 13, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., various locations.• Co-op employer panel: How to be successful on a co-op term, Nov. 27, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. TH 247.• Co-op employer mock interviews, Nov. 27, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Pond Inlet.For more information about the sessions, including participants and dress code, view the full schedule. read more

Read More

CP Holiday Train rolls into Hamilton for 20th anniversary

Hamilton got a little bit brighter Wednesday night, as the CP Holiday Train rolled into the city for its 20th anniversary. The vibrant train arrived along Lawrence Rd. just south of Gage Park shortly before 8 p.m.This year’s train featured 14 rail cars decorated with hundreds of thousands of l-e-d lights.The Sam Roberts Band performed free concert in support of local food banks.

Read More

13yearold girl charged after stolen SUV crashes into car Hamilton police

A 13-year-old girl has been charged after she stole her father’s vehicle and it crashed into a car early Thursday.Shortly after midnight, police say a white Toyota Highlander ran a red light and struck a grey Toyota sedan in the intersection of John and Main streets. The Highlander fled the scene and was spotted a short time later on Spring St. Police say two young girls were seen getting out of the SUV and checking out the vehicle’s damage before driving off.Just before 2 a.m., officers located the SUV in a residential area on Hamilton Mountain. The driver, a 13-year-old girl, was arrested at the scene. Police found out the SUV belonged to the girl’s father who was unaware his daughter had taken the vehicle. The man did not press charges against his daughter for taking the SUV.Police said they were unable to identify which if the 13-year-old girl or her 13-year-old passenger was driving at the time of the crash. The teen that was found driving when police found the SUV is charged with drive motor vehicle no licence. She is scheduled to appear in court on June 7. read more

Read More

As Gannett GateHouse merge newspaper costcutting persists

NEW YORK — Just a week after announcing its $1.4 billion acquisition of Gannett , GateHouse Media was again laying off journalists and other workers at its newspapers, possibly foreshadowing the future awaiting employees of what will become the largest U.S. newspaper company.GateHouse and Gannett say the merger will allow GateHouse to accelerate its newspapers’ move to digital while paying down huge sums GateHouse borrowed in order to fund the acquisition. But it’s unclear exactly how it will make that happen.Last week, more than two dozen newsroom employees and other workers were reportedly laid off at 10 newspapers, from Providence, Rhode Island, to Brockton, Massachusetts, to Oklahoma City. The Associated Press confirmed several of these layoffs with the affected employees, others in their newsrooms or union representatives. GateHouse did not announce the workforce reductions, and neither the company nor its owner, New Media, had any comment for this story.Gannett also declined to comment, but pointed to previous public statements by New Media CEO Mike Reed in which he said the merged company would “not only preserve but actually enhance quality journalism.”The latest layoffs may not be directly related to the merger. GateHouse also reportedly laid off dozens of employees in May and this winter. Its earnings reports show that revenue is declining when the impact of acquisitions is stripped out.Further newsroom cuts show that “GateHouse doesn’t have a vision for growing revenue, only cutting costs,” charged Andrew Pantazi, a reporter at the Florida Times-Union, a GateHouse paper in Jacksonville, Florida, and the head of a union chapter there. “Eventually they’ll run out of costs to cut.”Many in the newsrooms and the communities that depend on those newspapers are mourning the changes wrought by previous GateHouse cuts and bracing for more. Others, noting that both readers and advertisers have been deserting newspapers for more than a decade, argue that being part of a larger chain is the only route to survival for smaller papers often still struggling to migrate their publications online.Over the past decade, GateHouse has closed five daily newspapers and closed or merged dozens of weeklies, according to “The Expanding News Desert ,” a University of North Carolina study on the state of the local news coverage.GateHouse, whose leadership includes current and former Associated Press board members, is trying to reassure employees and investors. It says that bringing together the two companies will lead to about $300 million in annual cost cuts, and promises multiple sources of digital revenue to sustain the combined company and continue its commitment to quality journalism.Some argue that such consolidation is key to saving local journalism, which also competes for people’s attention with TV and Facebook. “They’re ultimately giving support to hundreds of individual publications that wouldn’t have a chance of standing on their own,” said David Chavern, CEO of the news publisher trade group News Media Alliance.But first, GateHouse has to pay down debt, including $1.8 billion borrowed from private equity firm Apollo at a high interest rate to get the Gannett deal done. It has also promised to continue a shareholder dividend and said it expects that to rise.GateHouse has lagged competitors in adapting to a post-print world. Digital business accounts for just 12% of its revenue, compared to 36% for Gannett. Such digital revenue includes online subscriptions and ads on newspaper websites as well as income from separate businesses such as online marketing and productivity tools for small companies.While the company says it will invest in digital, such investments will probably be in the new lines of business, not necessarily in its newsrooms, said Reed Phillips, managing partner at investment bank Oaklins DeSilva + Phillips.“The trendline for newspapers is continuing erosion of revenues,” he said, which will probably lead to additional newsroom cuts.Newsroom staffing at U.S. newspapers has fallen 47% to 38,000 people in 2018 from 72,000 in 2004, according to Pew Research . Circulation has plummeted in tandem. Pew estimates weekday circulation fell almost 48% over the same period to 28.6 million.While a few national publications like the Jeff Bezos-owned Washington Post, the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal have successful online operations, the situation is very different at smaller local papers across the country.After GateHouse buys a newspaper, cost cuts typically follow. Functions like page design and copy editing are shifted to remote hubs that handle the work for several newspapers. (Other newspaper chains also have hubs for editing and page design.) Critics say media companies backed by financial firms, like GateHouse, are especially aggressive about closing or selling off newspapers in decline.The Worcester Telegram & Gazette, which has been publishing in Massachusetts’ second-largest city since 1866, has been through four owners in the past decade, including GateHouse, which purchased it in early 2015.Overall, the newsroom has shrunk to 25 reporters, copy editors and photographers from 47 during its four years under GateHouse, said Rick Eggleston, a copy editor and head of the local union. “The mantra at GateHouse is doing more with less.”Having fewer reporters from outside Boston asking questions of state officials “hurts the rest of the state,” said Tim Murray, president of the Worcester chamber of commerce and a former lieutenant governor of the state. “It’s hard to hold people accountable.”Despite the cost-cutting, GateHouse newspapers are striving to engage readers who increasingly get news on their phones. The Cape Cod Times in Hyannis, Massachusetts, and the Columbus Dispatch in Ohio were cited among “10 Newspapers That Do It Right ” by the media trade publication Editor & Publisher, which cited innovative digital projects that have boosted readership.The Cape Cod paper, for example, launched a program that invited readers to submit suggestions for investigative stories. Similarly, The Fayetteville Observer in North Carolina started a new feature that invites readers to answer a topical question it posts each Sunday.But the Observer, acquired by GateHouse in 2016, has struggled. Buyouts followed the acquisition, and this week GateHouse eliminated the job of the newspaper’s publisher, assigning that responsibility to an executive who already oversees four other North Carolina papers.The Cape Cod newspaper, meanwhile, laid off courthouse reporter Wheeler Cowperthwaite last week. Cowperthwaite said GateHouse offered him just $400 in severance – which, had he accepted, would have barred him from applying for work at GateHouse newspapers for two years.He turned it down.Tali Arbel And Alexandra Olson, The Associated Press read more

Read More

Phoenix voters rejecting antirail initiative by wide margin

Phoenix voters by a wide margin were turning down a measure that would limit the future of light rail in the nation’s fifth largest city, early returns from a special election showed Tuesday.Nearly two-thirds of early, unofficial ballots counted so far show voters speaking out for mass transit by rejecting the measure known as Proposition 105, which aims to halt all planned light rail expansion inside city limits.The results so far are mostly from mail-in ballots and represent about 22.5% of the city’s 764,653 registered voters. More returns were expected later in the evening.Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego celebrated the early returns showing a margin of nearly 2-1 against the measure.“Light rail expansion is not stopping — not today, not tomorrow,” Gallego said. “This campaign was never about one track of rail. It was about equity for our entire city and voters delivered on that promise.”Approval of Proposition 105 would immediately stop a planned 5.5-mile (8.85-kilometre) extension of the rail into the working-class Hispanic and African American communities of south Phoenix, home to numerous auto repair shops and Mexican markets.It also would stop future extensions designed to link far-flung areas around the Valley of the Sun, including one planned to the state capitol and another to far western suburbs, home to many people who commute to the city’s centre for jobs and school.“We’re on pins and needles because we have no idea what the final results will show,” said Susan Gudino, who was gathering at a Mexican restaurant to await early returns with other backers of the “Yes on 105” effort launched by a group called Building a Better Phoenix.Gudino, 42, said a light rail extension would harm small businesses and change the character of south Phoenix, where she has lived most of her life. “It really would change everything,” she said.Tony Cani, a spokesman for the “No on 105” campaign, said keeping the door open to future expansion of light rail “is really about giving people the choice about where they can go to work and to school. We think mass transit can elevate people’s lives.”With a population of 1.6 million people, Phoenix is among other large cities in the U.S. with some kind of rail, but its system is modest compared with others, including New York City subways, Washington’s metro, Chicago’s L and San Francisco’s BART.Boston, Atlanta and Philadelphia also have some kind of rail system, and even the largely car-dependent Los Angeles area since 1990 has had Metro Rail, which has an average weekday ridership of nearly 350,000 people.Now stretching more than 26.3 miles (42.3 kilometres), construction of Phoenix’s Valley Metro system began in March 2005 and service was launched in December 2008. The agency says the system had about 15.7 million riders in 2018, with an estimated weekday ridership of nearly 48,000.Before three days of in-person voting ending on Tuesday, mail-in ballots had already pushed overall turnout for the special election higher than one held four years ago at the height of the Phoenix summer, when many people leave to escape triple-digit temperatures.The city clerk received 171,750 completed mail-in ballots by Monday, said spokesman Matthew Hamada. That’s about 31.2 per cent of the 549,128 early ballots sent to voters and 22.4 per cent of all the city’s registered voters.Phoenix voters tend to vote early by mail, with between 88% and 97% of all ballots in the last three citywide elections cast by early ballot.A second measure, Proposition 106, aims to limit the city’s spending until its pension debt is significantly reduced.Along with Building a Better Phoenix, the anti-rail Proposition 105 is backed by business owners along the planned south Phoenix extension route and City Council members Sal DiCiccio and Jim Waring.Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego and the other council members oppose the measure, saying the rail system would lose millions of dollars in federal funds that cannot be used for other purposes.Other opponents include the Greater Phoenix and Arizona Hispanic chambers of commerce, firefighters, unions and Arizona AARP.Those groups also oppose Proposition 106, saying it could slash funding for libraries and other city services.Anita Snow, The Associated Press read more

Read More

Tensions higher than ever inside bursting Saskatoon jail

Province blames changing gang affiliations for violence at Saskatoon jail Saskatoon jail locked down after fights involving gang members 18-year-old man stabbed at Saskatoon jail, two men arrested Inmates raising concerns about conditions inside the Saskatoon jail Inmate dies in Saskatoon jail overnight A breakdown in relations between two of the province’s largest gangs has led to an eruption of violence that has some inmates and staff at the Saskatoon Correctional Centre fearing for their safety.“I’ve been going there since 1998, and I’ve never seen it like this,” said Fr. André Poilièvre, who routinely visits the “bursting” facility as part of his work with Str8 Up, the organization he founded that works to help young people leave street gangs.Tension continued to build even after members of the once-friendly Westside Outlaws and Indian Posse were segregated following two major fights in the jail late last month, the Saskatoon StarPhoenix has learned.There have been confrontations and fights between members of the gangs, which are rivalled only by the Terror Squad in terms of size and power, since a five-day lockdown was lifted at the end of August, sources inside the jail said.“If you just came in today and you’d never been there before, you’d take it for granted that that’s what going on. But people like myself who have been going there for 30 years have seen the escalation of that stress and that tension and that conflict,” Poilièvre said.Story continues belowThis advertisement has not loaded yet,but your article continues below.“It’s strictly survival on both sides, staff and inmates,” Poilièvre said, adding that he does not blame correctional workers for a situation he attributes to an increasingly violent street culture combined with methamphetamine.The jail was locked down in August after four inmates were injured in two separate fights between gang members following what the provincial government has described as a sudden break between the Indian Posse and the Westside Outlaws.Those incidents led the union representing jail guards to describe the facility as a “powder keg.”Ministry of Corrections and Policing spokesman Drew Wilby said in an email this week that relocating 40 per cent of the jail’s population in order to separate gang members has “gone a long way to ensuring the safety of staff and inmates.”“We have not seen similar incidents to what occurred at Saskatoon Correctional Centre a couple of weeks ago … As a standard course of business, we continue to review the security protocols in place and will continue to adapt where required,” Wilby said.Sources inside the jail said there have been confrontations and altercations between members of different gangs since the lockdown was lifted, including one that began after a door between two secure areas was inadvertently left open.“It’s unpredictable, man. You don’t know what’s going to happen, whether or not somebody’s going to f—ing roll on you or somebody’s going to just attack you out of nowhere,” said Phillip Bear Morin, who is currently on remand.“The violence is escalating and there’s nothing for the people in here,” Morin said in reference to programming for prisoners who spend weeks or months on remand without being convicted of a crime. He is not a gang member, he added.Wilby declined to provide information on what he called “minor altercations.”Poilièvre said one problem is that it’s not always easy to determine which inmates are gang members. One obvious solution is to stop “warehousing” prisoners and instead concentrate on healing and rehabilitation, he said.Morin offered a similar, albeit more succinct assessment: “Not f—ing packing the place.”amacpherson@postmedia.comtwitter.com/macphersonaRelated read more

Read More